This last week we had a bit of a scare. One evening, we kept smelling an odd odor, and could not determine where it was coming from. Daddy Goblin had replaced a light fixture and we assumed there was an electrical issue, as it smelled just like a burning electrical smell.
We spent the entire evening trying to locate the source of the smell with no luck. Then we noticed the outlets in our laundry room were not working, so we presumed it was a problem with the electricity in that room. But still the smell persisted. We debated calling the fire department, but since we had no other signs of concern, we thought we’d wait until morning and call the electrician.
Around 10pm I felt odd. Woozy, abnormally sleepy, and a bit nauseous. I was sleeping with Baby Goblin in her room. I could smell that awful smell. I knew something was wrong. She was sleeping much more deeply than normal. I felt odd. I was just going to call for Daddy Goblin to contact the fire department when our Carbon Monoxide detector went off. BEEP! BEEP! I knew what it was. OMG.
Daddy Goblin ran downstairs. I went to the balcony and he said the burner was on in the kitchen. OMG. At some point the burner on our propane stove had been on low, releasing CO2 into our home. Either from dinner, the baby, it didn’t matter how. We called 911, opened all the windows, and took the children outside. The kids were fine. Groggy, but fine. The fire department came quickly and checked CO2 levels in the house, and thankfully the cold spring winds blew it out quickly. The airing of the house only took minutes once we found the source of our poisoning.
Moral of the story, I am so grateful we had a CO2 detector in our home. We COULD NOT figure out what was causing that smell, and the gas smelled different because it was being burned on the stove. Lesson learned, and we will never repeat it. Wood burning stoves also release this toxic gas, as do some obvious offenders: BBQs, automobiles, propane operated equipment, propane heaters and ovens/stoves, kerosene operated equipment, and boat engines.
In the news it’s usually someone who is burning a BBQ in their home during a power outage or other seemingly ridiculous situation, but with us it was completely overlooked. BUY A CO2 detector!!!